October 13, 2010

Sketch/Color Study

     This is a quick sketch/color study of a book cover i'm getting ready to work on. I haven't thought of a title yet but, I'll get there eventually. I wanted to do an illustration that was inspired by the old Japanese landscape paintings. And, I'm pushing mood and color so I decided to go with a vibrant pink/purple sunset. The end result will undoubtedly look quite different from this sketch. But, it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking. I'm going to shoot some reference for this piece (which is something I haven't done in a while). I have received some feedback on things that I'm going to change but, additional insight is always welcome.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummmm, pandas only live in China. I have some photos that might be useful for reference, like for the gateway and for the tower back there. Let me know if you'd like them. I love the colors and composition! Lovely!