October 15, 2010

Refined Sketch/Color

  
     I spent some time this weekend gathering reference and doing some research for this painting. It was brought to my attention that pandas are only native to China. I learned something new! Most everything in my image was interchangeable, all except for the panda. Plus, the girl that I had model for my reference photos is Chinese. So, I decided to change it to a Chinese themed illustration. I had a lot of fun doing research on trees and architecture, etc.  I'm still playing around with color trying to get it to feel a little more natural. But, the basic palette isn't going to change. I still haven't thought up a title for this piece. But that's not all that important at this point. Please comment!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh! That looks SUPER awesome! I cant wait till it's done!! Seriously, the color scheme is perfect and I love how the bridge and the waterfall lead your eye around the picture. Yay!

Stephen Sitton said...

Thanks Hannah! That means alot coming from you :) You should be doing this illustration, not me. You're good at this kinda stuff! ;)

Unknown said...

very nice!!! It depends on the era, but red is a huge chinese color, good luck etc.....or 'old' china would be grey or blue clothes..... Love it....and you know I'm 1/2 chinese! hahahaha

Unknown said...

Pffff! Good at this kind of stuff? You're the one thats good at making supercool paintings with depth, emotion and space. I just have a hundred and fifty seven layers and ok colors.